MENU
Susan_Profile_Name_500x500_21v1

Susan

I’m many things. A single mom. A school librarian. A Harry Potter fanatic. I’ve long wanted to add “runner” to that list.

I’ve always admired runners — their endurance, their dedication. I wanted to be someone who could go out and run 3 or 4 miles with no problem. But every time I tried, I got injured. In 2017, though, I decided to give it one more try. I joined a 5k group at Fleet Feet and that’s when it all came together. I made friends and running became more than just exercise. Now, I’m part of an amazing group that is based in Pflugerville, and runs all over Austin — the Pfun Runners. We are runners of all ages, sizes, and abilities, but more than anything we are a family. I love exploring different parts of the city by running the streets and trails, and I’m looking forward to traveling for races. Running has changed everything, and I love it.

Now I can say that I am a mom, a school librarian, a Harry Potter fanatic, and a RUNNER!

Did you know...

Pumpkin, pecan or apple pie and do you run Thanksgiving Day?

“I used to roll my eyes at people who ran on Thanksgiving Day – until I joined the Pfun Runners. Now, finding a Turkey Day 5k is one of my favorite traditions. My family gathers in my hometown (Hondo) for Thanksgiving. Hondo doesn’t host any races, but I’ve found towns close by that do. (My favorite being the San Antonio Turkey Trot, which benefits the Food Bank.) I’ve managed to talk my cousin into participating in a few. Then, last year, my sister and brother-in-law joined me for a virtual race. She and her husband walked while I ran. I was waiting at the “finish line” with medals.

Even though I don’t get to run with my friends in Pflugerville, I love know that we are running together in spirit. It gives me a chance to get out and enjoy the quiet before heading back to the chaos and fun of our family Thanksgiving. It also helps me feel better about all the food I eat that day.”

What shoe are you currently training in and why did you choose it?

“I’ve been running in the New Balance 1080s for the past few years. I have high arches and these shoes provide a lot of cushioning and support. I’ve tried a few other brands inbetween, but keep coming back to the 1080s. I love how bouncy they feel!

Austin's Coffee House Tour