Saturday, April 1, 2017
Meeting Place: Austin American-Statesman (West Lot)
Parking: Free (Location)
Meeting Time: 8:00 a.m.
Running Time: 8:05 a.m. (leave by)
Sunrise Time: 7:20 a.m.
Route Map: MapMyRun
Where we Start
The Austin American-Statesman is located at 305 South Congress Avenue, Austin, TX 78704. The Statesman’s West parking lot is at the intersection of Barton Springs Rd. and S. Congress Ave., look for the black Cap10K tent and white flags at the north end of the parking lot. Parking is free for those attending Austin 10K’r events. Parking is free for those attending Austin 10K’r events.
What You Get
- A super fun 3-mile run to an iconic Austin statue of Willie Nelson at the ACL Moody Theater.
- Red headband bandanas (for run).
- Free samples of the New Nut Butter Filled peanut butter bar from Clif Bar (post run)
- Evamor bottled water (pre & post run).
- Special edition armadillo tattoos.
- And some good ol’ fashion high fives when you finish.
What to Bring
- Friends & family, co-workers, best buds and girlfriends.
- Your smart phone to capture the fun and make your followers jealous (#WillieRun).
- Baby Joggers welcome.
- Leased pets welcome.
Willie Run – Route Description
The Willie Run is a creative route that intersects the park, crosses the river and strolls through the entertainment district of downtown to a statue of one of Austin’s most iconic singer-songwriters. Starting from the Statesman parking lot the run will kick off passing a familiar statue “Night Wings” on the way down Barton Springs Road. After passing through the dense canopy of pecan trees outside Palmer Events Center the route takes a turn at the Dougherty Arts Center and travels north through Butler Park. Take a moment to view the Austin skyline when you cross the Pfluger Pedestrian Bridge over Lady Bird Lake to Sand Beach Park and the newly renovated Seaholm Power Plant. The run winds up to West 5th Street near Whole Foods Market’s world headquarters before crossing East over to Republic Square Park. From the park travel south to Cesar Chavez Street for a quick loop around Austin City Hall before jumping up to West Willie Nelson Blvd. (W. 2nd St.) and the Moody Theater. Take an opportunity to get your photo next to the legendary Willie Nelson statue outside the theater. Finally scoot over to Congress and back across the river to finish the 3-mile tour in the Statesman parking lot where the run started. This is a loop course however, you can choose to U-turn and retrace your steps back to the Statesman at any point (paper maps provided at event).
It is our recommendation that participants use sidewalks, pedestrian pathways or hike & bike trails and avoid using the street. Please use caution when crossing streets and only cross at designated cross walks.
After the Run
- Enjoy iced down bottled water and sports drink to re-hydrate.
- Savor samples of Clif Bar’s NEW Nut Butter Filled bar.
- Post your Moonlight Tower photos using our official hashtags: #WillieRun, #Austin10Kr or #Cap10K
Turn by Turn Directions
- From the Statesman Bat Viewing area in the Statesman parking lot, take the hike and bike trail up to Congress Ave. sidewalk.
- Cross S. Congress Ave. over the Night Wings statue and then turn right to catch Barton Springs Rd. sidewalk to the left.
- Travel westbound on Barton Springs Rd. to Dawson Rd.
- Turn right at Dawson and follow pedestrian park path along the western edge of Butler Park northbound to W. Riverside Dr.
- At Riverside Dr. use the pedestrian cross walk to cross the street and turn left and travel westbound along sidewalk to the head of the Pfluger Pedestrian Bridge.
- Turn right and use the Pfluger Bridge to cross Lady Bird Lake.
- Keep left as you approach the North end of the bridge and follow the extension bridge that stretches over Cesar Chavez St. and lands at W. 2nd St.
- At W. 2nd St. turn Right and travel eastbound under railroad bridge to Walter Seaholm Dr.
- Turn Left and travel northbound to W. 3rd St.
- Turn Left and travel westbound to Bowie St.
- Turn Right and travel northbound to W. 5th St.
- Turn Right and travel eastbound over to Guadalupe St. near Republic Square Park
- Turn Right and travel southbound to W. Cesar Chavez St.
- At Cesar Chavez St. turn left and cross eastbound in front of Austin City Hall over to Lavaca St.
- At Lavaca St. turn Left and travel northbound one block to the Willie Nelson statue at W. 2nd St.
- After your photo opp with Willie continue northbound up to W. 3rd St.
- Turn Right and travel eastbound to Congress Ave.
- Turn Right and travel southbound on Congress Ave. over the river to the Night Wings statue.
- Follow the trail back to the starting point in the Statesman parking lot near the Bat Viewing area.