Saturday, February 4, 2017
Meeting Place: Austin American-Statesman (West Lot)
Parking: Free (Location)
Meeting Time: 8:00 a.m.
Running Time: 8:05 a.m. (leave by)
Sunrise Time: 7:20 a.m.
Route Map: MapMyRun Moonlight Tower 21 Run
Where we Start
The Austin American-Statesman is located at 305 South Congress Avenue, Austin, TX 78704. The Statesman’s West parking lot is at the intersection of Barton Springs Rd. and S. Congress Ave., look for the black Cap10K tent and white flags at the north end of the parking lot. Parking is free for those attending Austin 10K’r events.
What You Get
- A super fun 3 to 6-mile run through downtown Austin to visit four historic Moonlight Towers.
- Free samples of the New Nut Butter Filled peanut butter bar from Clif Bar (post run)
- Evamor bottled water (pre & post run).
- Special edition armadillo tattoos.
- And some good ol’ fashion high fives when you finish.
What to Bring
- Friends & family, co-workers, best buds and girlfriends.
- Your smart phone to capture the fun and make your followers jealous (#MoonlightTowerRun).
- Baby Joggers welcome.
- Leased pets welcome.
Moonlight Tower 21 Run – Route Description
The Moonlight Tower 21 Run is a creative 3 to 6-mile route that travels into downtown Austin to seek out four of only 17 remaining light towers. Starting from the Statesman’s West parking lot we will head into the city across Congress Ave. Bridge stretching over Lady Bird Lake. The route will continue up Congress passed the Paramount Theater and theater’s new sign celebrating its 100th anniversary. The first Moonlight Tower #20 is at the corner of E. 11th St. and Trinity St. (SE corner). When you crest the hill at Trinity and E. 12th St. you will be able to see the UT Campus and the Darrell K. Royal – Texas Memorial Stadium in the distance. The second Moonlight Tower #14 is at the corner of W. 15th St. and San Antonio St. (SW corner). The third Moonlight Tower #13 is on the corner of the ACC Rio Grande Campus at W. 12th St. and Rio Grande St. (NW corner). Finally, as you pass the Travis County Courthouse and Wooldridge Square Park you will see the fourth Moonlight Tower #21 at the corner of Guadalupe St. and W. 9th St. (SE corner).
Celebrate the 120th anniversary of Austin’s moonlight towers
illuminating Austin in a moonlight glow–Hannah Thornby
After the Run
- Enjoy iced down bottled water and sports drink to re-hydrate.
- Savor samples of Clif Bar’s NEW Nut Butter Filled bar.
- Post your Moonlight Tower photos using our official hashtags: #MoonlightTowerRun, #Austin10Kr or #Cap10K
Turn by Turn Directions
- From the Statesman Bat Viewing area in the Statesman parking lot, take the hike and bike trail up to Congress Avenue sidewalk.
- Turn right on Congress Ave. sidewalk and travel North across the bridge into downtown Austin.
- Turn right on E. 10th St. and travel East (3) blocks to Trinity St.
- Turn left on Trinity and travel North (5) blocks to E. 15th St.
- At Trinity and E. 15th St. U-turn and retrace your steps back to the Statesman for 3-mile route.
- Turn left on E. 15th St. and travel West (10) blocks to West Ave.
- At E. 15th St. and Guadalupe St. U-turn and retrace your steps back to the Statesman for 4-mile route.
- Turn left on West Ave. and travel South (3) blocks to W. 12th St.
- Turn left on W. 12th St. and travel East (4) blocks to Guadalupe St.
- Turn left on Guadalupe St. and travel South (4) blocks to W. 8th St.
- At W. 8th St. U-turn and retrace your steps back to the Statesman for 6-mile route.