Saturday, April 8, 2017
Meeting Place: Austin American-Statesman (West Lot)
Parking: Free (Location)
Meeting Time: 8:00 a.m.
Running Time: 8:05 a.m. (leave by)
Sunrise Time: 7:12 a.m.
Route Map: MapMyRun
Where we Start
The Austin American-Statesman is located at 305 South Congress Avenue, Austin, TX 78704. The Statesman’s West parking lot is at the intersection of Barton Springs Rd. and S. Congress Ave., look for the black Cap10K tent and white flags at the north end of the parking lot. Parking is free for those attending Austin 10K’r events.
What You Get
- A super fun 3 to 6-mile run through downtown Austin to visit four historic Moonlight Towers.
- Free samples of the New Nut Butter Filled peanut butter bar from Clif Bar (post run)
- Evamor bottled water (pre & post run).
- Special edition armadillo tattoos.
- And some good ol’ fashion high fives when you finish.
What to Bring
- Friends & family, co-workers, best buds and girlfriends.
- Your smart phone to capture the fun and make your followers jealous (#MoonlightTowerRun).
- Baby Joggers welcome.
- Leased pets welcome.
Moonlight Tower 12 Run – Route Description
The Moonlight Tower 12 Run is a creative 4 to 5-mile route that travels into downtown Austin to seek out three of only 17 remaining light towers. Starting from the Statesman’s West parking lot we will head into the city across Congress Ave. Bridge which stretches over Lady Bird Lake. The route will take a turn a Cesar Chavez and travel westward over to City Hall and Guadalupe St. Follow Guadalupe through the Second St. District northward to the Faulk Central Library where the #21 Moonlight Tower stands at the corner of W. 9th St. Continue north to 12th street and hang a left. Continue westward for a few blocks before the next #13 Moonlight Tower will appear on the corner of 12th & Rio Grande in front of the Austin Community College Rio Grande campus. Continue westward on 12th across N. Lamar and up the hill into Clarksville Neighborhood. At the top of the hill you will find the #12 Moonlight Tower on the corner of Blanco & W. 12th. To complete the 5-mile out and back route continue on W. 12th to West Lynn. Turn right at West Lynn and travel about three blocks north to Enfield Rd. where you will U-turn and retrace your steps back the Statesman.
It is our recommendation that participants use sidewalks, pedestrian pathways or hike & bike trails and avoid using the street. Please use caution when crossing streets and only cross at designated cross walks.
Celebrate the 120th anniversary of Austin’s moonlight towers
Illuminating Austin in a moonlight glow–Hannah Thornby
Five things you should know about the Zilker moonlight tower
By Staff – American-Statesman staff
After the Run
- Enjoy iced down bottled water and sports drink to re-hydrate.
- Savor samples of Clif Bar’s NEW Nut Butter Filled bar.
- Post your Moonlight Tower photos using our official hashtags: #MoonlightTowerRun, #Austin10Kr or #Cap10K
Turn by Turn Directions
• From the Statesman West Parking lot travel north on Congress Avenue.
• LEFT at Cesar Chavez St. and go west (3) blocks.
• RIGHT at Guadalupe St. and go north (11) blocks.
• LEFT at West 12th St. and go west appx. (2) blocks. U-TURN at Nueces St. for 3 mi. route.
• or LEFT at West 12th St. and go west appx. (6) blocks.
• CROSS North Lamar Blvd. and continue west appx. (3) blocks. U-TURN at Shelley Ave. for 4 mi. route.
• or CROSS North Lamar Blvd. and continue west appx. (8) blocks.
• RIGHT at West Lynn and go north (3) blocks.
• U-TURN at Enfield Rd. for 5 mi. route and retrace your steps back to Statesman.