Wednesday, June 1, 2016
Meeting Place: Austin American-Statesman
Activity: Run, Walk, Skip or Stroll
Meeting Time: 6:00 p.m.
Running Time: 6:05 p.m. (leave by)
Sunset Time: 8:28 p.m.
Map 3 Mile: MapMyRun
Map 6 Mile: MapMyRun
Global Running Day is a day for people around the world to celebrate the joys of running. Participation is easy—just pledge to take part in some type of running activity on June 1, 2016. It can be a solo lap around the block, a long run with friends, or even a game of tag with your kids. The key is to share your passion for the sport and inspire others to get moving.
We invite you to join us on Global Running Day to participate in two unique routes through Austin, Texas. To celebrate this day Cap10K & Austin Marathon & Half Marathon® staff have organized two routes that are variable in distance, free, open to the public and begin and end at Austin American-Statesman’s West parking lot. Social run/walk route distances vary between 3 & 6 miles. Maps, bottled water, nutritional bars, high fives and selfies will be shared at this year’s Austin Edition of Global Running Day. We hope you will join us and bring a friend.
Where We Start
The Austin American-Statesman is located at 305 South Congress Avenue, Austin, TX 78704. The Statesman’s West parking lot is at the intersection of Barton Springs Rd. and S. Congress Ave., look for the black Cap10K tent and white flags at the north end of the parking lot near the bat observation center. Parking is FREE for those attending event. Parking passes will be provided to attendees upon arrival.
What You Get
• A super f’run 3 or 6-mile route that travels through scenic downtown Austin.
• Chance to win one of two Timex Ironman watches* (raffle prize).
• Chance to win one entry into the 2017 Austin Marathon & Half Marathon® presented by NXP* (raffle prize).
• Chance to win one entry into the 2017 Statesman Cap10K presented by Baylor, Scott & White Health* (raffle prize).
• Chance to win one Clif Bar cycling jersey* (raffle prize).
• Samples from Coco Libre coconut water.
• Samples from Clif Bar performance nutrition and raffle prizes.
• Samples of Nuun electrolyte enhanced drink.
• And some good ol’ fashion high fives when you finish.
(*raffle winners must be present to win, and are subject to additional terms and conditions)
What to Bring
• Friends & family, co-workers, best buds and girlfriends.
• Your smart phone to capture the fun and make your followers jealous (#GlobalRunningDay, @cap10k, @austinmarathon).
• Money for La Fantabulous Cabo styled taqueria food truck.
• Wear a race shirt from any Austin race and receive bonus raffle ticket.
• Baby Joggers welcome.
• Leased pets welcome.
Before the Run
We will have a short 2-3 minute meet ‘n’ greet with the event staff followed by answers to questions about the routes. The event is a self-guided and a self-paced activity that encourages participants to exercise to level of their individual ability.
The #GlobalRunningDay3Mile is a creative route that intersects Butler park, crosses the river and strolls through the entertainment district of downtown to a statue of one of Austin’s most iconic singer-songwriters. Starting from the Statesman parking lot the run will kick off passing a familiar statue “Night Wings” on the way down Barton Springs Road. After passing through the dense canopy of pecan trees outside Palmer Events Center the route takes a turn at the Dougherty Arts Center and travels north through Butler Park. Take a moment to view the Austin skyline when you cross the Pfluger Pedestrian Bridge over Lady Bird Lake to Sand Beach Park and the newly renovated Seaholm Power Plant. The run winds up to West 5th Street near Whole Foods Market’s world headquarters before crossing East over to Republic Square Park. From the park travel south to Cesar Chavez Street for a quick loop around Austin City Hall before jumping up to West Willie Nelson Blvd. (W. 2nd St.) and the Moody Theater. Take an opportunity to get your photo next to the legendary Willie Nelson statue outside the theater. Finally scoot over to Congress and travel south back across the river to finish the 3-mile tour in the Statesman parking lot where the run started. This is a loop course however, you can choose to U-turn and retrace your steps back to the Statesman at any point (paper maps provided at run).
The #GlobalRunningDay6Mile is a creative route that intersects Butler park, waves at the state capitol building and strolls on the eastside past before returning to the Statesman Bat Observation. Starting from the Statesman parking lot the run will kick off passing a familiar statue “Night Wings” on the way down Barton Springs Road. After passing through the dense canopy of pecan trees outside Palmer Events Center the route takes a turn at the Dougherty Arts Center and travels north through Butler Park. Take a moment to view the Austin skyline when you cross the Pfluger Pedestrian Bridge over Lady Bird Lake to Sand Beach Park and the newly renovated Seaholm Power Plant. The route continues north on West Ave. up to West Twelfth St. and turns towards the Texas State Capitol. Crossing through the Capitol grounds near the south steps the route continues eastward on Twelfth and cross over IH-35. At East Twelfth & Comal hang a right and travel south past the George Washington Carver Museum. Stay on Comal as the route parallels the Texas State Cemetery. At Comal and East Fifth St. hang another right and follow the pedestrian pathway that parallels the Metro Rail line under IH-35 towards the Austin Convention Center. Finally scoot over to Congress and travel south back across the river to finish the 6-mile tour in the Statesman parking lot where the run started. This is a loop course however, you can choose to U-turn and retrace your steps back to the Statesman at any point (paper maps provided at run).
It is our recommendation that participants use sidewalks, pedestrian pathways or hike & bike trails and avoid using the street. Please use caution when crossing streets and only cross at designated cross walks.
After the Run
• Enjoy iced down bottled water and refreshments from Nuun and Clif Bar.
• La Fantabulous food truck will be serving up Cabo styled taqueria (bring your money).
• Stay around for the raffle and your chance to win Timex Ironman watch, and entries into 2017 Austin Marathon & Half Marathon® presented by NXP and Statesman Cap10K races.
• Post your #GlobalRunningDay photos using our official hash tags: #GlobalRunningDay, #AustinMarathon, #Cap10K,….
Special Thanks to our Global Running Day partners:
Austin American-Statesman, Austin Marathon & Half Marathon® presented by NXP, Coco Libre, Nuun, Clif Bar, Timex, La Fantabulous,…