Saturday, April 15, 2017
Meeting Place: Austin American-Statesman (West Lot)
Parking: Free (Location)
Meeting Time: 8:00 a.m.
Running Time: 8:05 a.m. (leave by)
Sunrise Time: 7:04 a.m.
Route Map: MapMyRun
Where we Start
The Austin American-Statesman is located at 305 South Congress Avenue, Austin, TX 78704. The Statesman’s West parking lot is at the intersection of Barton Springs Rd. and S. Congress Ave., look for the black Cap10K tent and white flags at the north end of the parking lot. Parking is free for those attending Austin 10K’r events.
What You Get
- A super fun 3 to 6-mile run up Congress Avenue to the State Capitol building in downtown Austin.
- Free samples of the New Nut Butter Filled peanut butter bar from Clif Bar (post run)
- Evamor bottled water (pre & post run).
- Special edition armadillo tattoos.
- And some good ol’ fashion high fives when you finish.
What to Bring
- Friends & family, co-workers, best buds and girlfriends.
- Your smart phone to capture the fun and make your followers jealous (#CapitolRun).
- Baby Joggers welcome.
- Leased pets welcome.
Capitol Run – Route Description
The Capitol Run is an easy jog on the first mile of the Statesman Cap10K race course with a bonus loop around the Capitol Building thrown in just for fun! From the Statesman Bat Viewing area in the Statesman parking lot, take the hike and bike trail up to Congress Avenue sidewalk. Travel north across the Lady Bird Lake into downtown Austin. As you continue up Congress you’ll pass the historic Paramount & State Theatres. When you arrive at 11th Street enter the majestic Capitol grounds and follow the east driveway up to and around the building. On the north side of the Capitol stop and take a peak in the open-air rotunda which is the same size as the rotunda in the Main Capitol Building. It’s 60 feet in diameter and features a star and the word “Texas” around it. It is similar to the star on the ceiling of the dome of the Texas State Capitol. To complete the three mile course exit the Capitol grounds at 15th Street and U-turn one block north at 16th Street. Don’t forget to return down the west side driveway of the Capitol to see additional Texas historic statues and monuments. Basic out and back course, where you can choose to U-turn and retrace your steps back to the Statesman at any point (paper maps provided at meetup).
It is our recommendation that participants use sidewalks, pedestrian pathways or hike & bike trails and avoid using the street. Please use caution when crossing streets and only cross at designated cross walks.
After the Run
- Karla Luna, Dietician from Baylor Scott & White Health will be on hand with hydration station tent and post-workout snacks; she will also be available to answer any nutrition questions.
- Tio Bustillo, Herbalist & Acupuncturist from Baylor Scott & White Health will be on hand to discuss common running conditions that acupuncture and Chinese Medicine can treat (and how). Tio will also give a quick talk about an herb that is used in many formulas for athletes in China called “Hong Jing Tian” (radix rhodiolae crenulate). It increases the biological factors associated with oxygen uptake meaning an athlete can work harder for longer.
- Enjoy iced down bottled water and sports drink to re-hydrate.
- Savor samples of Clif Bar’s NEW Nut Butter Filled bar.
- Post your Moonlight Tower photos using our official hashtags: #MoonlightTowerRun, #Austin10Kr or #Cap10K